FOR THE ATTENTION OF MEMBERS OF THE POLITICAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
Secretariat of the Assembly
Synopsis No. 2000/118
4 July 2000
The Political Affairs Committee, meeting in Strasbourg on 28 and 29 June 2000, under the chairmanship of Mr Davis (United Kingdom, SOC):
- Conflict in the Chechen Republic (Rapporteur: Lord Judd, United Kingdom, SOC): took note of the Committee of Ministers’ reply to Recommendation 1456 (2000), adopted a draft Resolution and took position on the amendments to this draft Resolution;
- Requests for Council of Europe membership:
. Armenia (Rapporteur :Mr Demetrio Volcic, Italy, SOC) : took position on the amendments to the draft Opinion;
. Azerbaijan (Rapporteur: Mr Jacques Baumel, France, EDG): took position on the amendments to the draft Opinion;
. Monaco (Rapporteur: Mrs Kristiina Ojuland, Estonia, LDR: heard a brief statement by the rapporteur on her meeting with the Minister of State of Monaco, which took place in Paris on 4 May 2000;
- European Architecture in the 21st century (Rapporteur: Mr René van der Linden, Netherlands, EPP/CD) continued his discussion on the outline report;
- Parliamentary Conference on regional co-operation in the region of the Baltic Sea, Malmö (4-5 September 2000): appointed Mr Daly (Ireland, LDR) as representative; also authorised Mr Gross to participate, on the condition that his participation did not engender costs for the Parliamentary Assembly.
- Next meetings: decided to hold its next meetings as follows:
- Plenary Committee:
. Prague (Czech Republic), 3-5 September 2000
. Strasbourg, during the fourth part-session of the Assembly (25-29 September 2000)
. Paris, 23 October 2000: joint meeting with the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the French National Assembly (to be confirmed)
. Brussels, 22 November 2000: Joint meeting with the Committee on External Relations, Human Rights, Defence and Security of the European Parliament (to be confirmed).
The Sub-Committee on relations with Non-Member countries, of the Political Affairs Committee, meeting in Strasbourg on 29 June 2000, under the chairmanship of Mr Bergqvist (Sweden, SOC)
- Relations with:
- The United Nations (Rapporteur: Mrs Hanne Severinsen, Denmark, LDR) : heard a statement by the Rapporteur on the substance of the report to be presented during the September 2000 part-session and on the Committee of Ministers’ reply to Recommendation 1411 (2000) on relations with the United Nations;
- Algeria: (Rapporteur: Mr David Atkinson, United Kingdom, GDE): confirmed his decisions taken, on 15 May 2000, in Dublin to re-open dialogue with the Algerian authorities and in this context authorised the Rapporteur to go there;
- Japan: (Rapporteur: Mr Jacques Baumel, France, GDE): confirmed his decision taken, on 15 May 2000, in Dublin to hold an exchange of views with members of the Japanese Parliament during the September 2000 Part-Session;
- North Africa: held an exchange of views on the new references concerning the Increasing dialogue with countries of the Southern shore of the Mediterranean, as well as on Relations with the Moroccan Parliament;
- Next meetings: decided to hold its meetings as follows:
- Strasbourg, during the September Part-Session (25-29 September 2000)
- New York, end of October 2000 (dates to be fixed in accordance with the agenda of the General Assembly of the United Nations
The Sub-Committee on the Middle East, meeting in Strasbourg on 29 June 2000, under the chairmanship of Mrs Stanoiu (Romania, SOC)
- The Situation in the Middle East (Rapporteur: Mr John D. Taylor, United Kingdom,EPP/CD) : heard a statement by Mr Roni Milo, member of the Knesset and of the Israeli observers delegation on recent developments in the region, discussed the follow-ups to be given to Order n° 549 (1999) and a forthcoming visit of the Sub-Committee to the Middle East in Autumn 2000.
- Next meeting: left the convocation of the next meeting to the Chairmans discretion.
Barış Perin, Marja Ruotanen, Petr Sich, Catherine Hügel